In the parade, he was wearing teal and pink costumes with cross patterns and hats with present bows that represented textiles.
He stood behind Peeta Mellark while Atala was explaining the training rules. He is then seen using a spear while the Jason Moio and Jeremy Marinas practice combat. He was shown struggling to climb the rope course, and he fell and hurt his leg. Due to his wound, he was forced to wear a leg cast for the rest of his time in the arena.
The 74th Hunger Games
Sam was killed in the initial Cornucopia bloodbath. Like most of the tributes, he ran for supplies. He fights the District 10 Male for one but loses the battle. Later, he confronts Marvel Sanford, who slits his throat and repeatedly stabs him to death with a kukri, killing him. He placed 23rd out of 24.
After his death, he had his DNA mixed with a wolf to form a muttation which had similar characteristics to him. It is unknown if his mutt survived the fight at the Cornucopia.
During Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark's Victory Tour, his portrait was seen, since he was one of the fallen tributes that year. The only family member standing with his picture was possibly his father or a male sibling.
- In the film, his odds of winning were 3-1, the highest in the Games, tied with Cato.
- In the film, he weighs 155 pounds and is 14 years old.
- On the scoreboard behind Caesar Flickerman and Claudius Templesmith, it can be seen that he lived for 9 seconds into the games. This means that the first person who died must have died in less than 9 seconds, which is weird since nobody reached the cornucopia at that time. This is a mistake since the first one dead survived longer than Sam did.
- He was the 2nd dead, but when his district partner was killed, on the scoreboard behind Caesar it can be seen that he was the 9th dead.
- On Panem October, his name was Linus though some fans claim his name is name is Fuller but both are likely names.